Sunday, November 4, 2012

Stuffed with Thankful Thoughts!

Hi, Friends!

I was looking back at some old pictures from when I student-taught in college and came across a picture of a gigantic leaf I had constructed out of cardboard. Isn’t it so fun? I made this while I was student-teaching in kindergarten.

It was pretty easy to construct. I used a large piece of cardboard for the bottom. For the sides, I bent cardboard into the shape I wanted and then taped the bent pieces to the bottom. To make it more “fall-ish,” I painted it yellow and green. Then, I filled it with hay, gourds, mini-pumpkins, and a scarecrow.

In the classroom, I placed it on the floor in a corner and let two students read and act out Thanksgiving stories inside of it. It was a FABULOUS little treat for them. Who says we can’t have a little dramatic play here and there? Right? I may make another one similar to this for my little firsties this year. I know they’d LOVE ME FOREVER, ha!

image

The past two years of teaching first grade, I’ve had my students record a little video of themselves saying what they are thankful for. At the end of the video, we all come together and say “We’re STUFFED with thankful thoughts!” We share the video during American Education Week and I e-mail it to the parents. The kids and parents LOVE it!

This year, I thought it would be fun to make a little craft that goes along with it. Students can assemble the craft, and then “stuff” their turkey with thankful thoughts by writing what they are thankful for. The writing pages goes behind the turkey to create a little booklet.

image

 

image

To get everyone into the Thanksgiving spirit, I have also created a few fun literacy and math centers for my kiddos to work on over the next few weeks. I’ve combined the craftivity and all of the activities into one big 60 page Thanksgiving packet.

Slide1

In this packet, you will find:
-Thanksgiving craft templates and writing activity ("I'm Stuffed with Thankful Thoughts!")
-graphic organizers that compliment many different Thanksgiving texts

-literacy centers that focus on grammar, word building, and writing complete sentences
-math centers that focus on conducting surveys
, addition and subtraction, and word problems
-Turkey Trot Math Hunt
- Tasty Bingo (addition and subtraction)

You can find it in my TPT shop for $5.00.

What thankful thoughts are you STUFFED with? The first person who leaves a comment with their e-mail address will get this packet for free!

15 comments:

Foxwell Forest said...

Looks great!

Becca
Foxwellforest@gmail.com

Camille said...

I am thankful for all of my blog buddies and the many ideas I get from them! Thank you!!!
Camille
Tomrsjohnson@gmail.com

Foxwell Forest said...

I'm so thankful for an amazing hubby! I'm also so blessed by the community of teachers that i have connected with via TPT and blogging-like you! It has definitely made me a stronger teacher and I love sharing ideas!

Becca
First Grade in Foxwell Forest

Susan Moran said...

I got an email saying you uploaded this and it looks FABULOUS, Lyndsey!!

You are awesome :)

Susan
T.G.I.F. (Thank God it's First Grade!)

Mrs Cupcake said...

Looks super cute, girl!! :)
❤Teri
A Cupcake for the Teacher

Stephanie said...

Lysndsey this looks ah-mazing!!

❤ -Stephanie
Falling Into First

Casey Turner said...

There is a lot of SUPER cute stuff in this post!

Casey
Second Grade Math Maniac
Second Grade Freebies

Ashley Pennell said...

So glad I found your blog!! I am a first year 2nd grade teacher!

~DeAnne~ said...

This looks FABULOUS!!

įƒ¦DeAnne
First Grade and Fabulous

Nicole Lanier said...

Thank you for sharing your "My Five Senses Feast" book on Freebielicious! I've got it saved and ready to print for my kinders this week!!!

Your newest follower,
Nicole
Lanier's Kindergarten Lions

Cindy Calenti said...

Thank you for the Five Senses book over at Freebielicious. That's how I found you and am your newest follower.:)

The video you make with your kiddos sounds precious. I know that is something I would really treasure as a parent.

Cindy
Granny Goes to School

kk said...

Family First believes public finances should be diverted from expensive (high tax) government bureaucracies to families and Family First also believes property rights, free markets and voluntary arrangements provide the best opportunity for Australia and Australians to prosper, so keep in touch with http://www.vic-familyfirst.org.au/

Heather's Heart said...

Your kiddos are so blessed to have you as their teacher!

Heather
Heather's Heart

Annie Moffatt said...

This looks AMAZING Lyndsey!!

alarta spax said...

It’s one thing to have an opinion, it’s a very different thing to support a cause to Ashley Fenn. If you believe we need to protect the strong values that this country was established on, then please support Ashley Fenn.

 
Pin It button on image hover